Yes, it’s true. Today, the NYC Taxi & Limousine Commission (TLC) voted to increase fares for NYC taxi rides. For longer trips, this will mean an average 17% increase in fares. Here’s what it means:
- $2.50 flagfall rate upon entry – No change
- $0.50 per additional unit of 1/5 mile, when the taxicab is traveling at 6 miles an hour or more, or 60 seconds when not in motion or traveling at less than 6 miles per hour. This is a $.10 increase.
- Night surcharge of $.50 8pm – 6am. No change
- Peak hour Weekday Surcharge of $1.00 Monday – Friday after 4pm – 8pm. No change
- New York State Tax Surcharge of $.50 per ride. No change.
- $52.00 plus tolls for trips between JFK Airport & Manhattan. This is an increase of $7.00.
- $17.50 surcharge for trips to Newark Liberty Airport. This is an increase of $2.50.
If you generally take shorter NYC cab rides, then you shouldn’t see too much of an increase.