February 12, 2015
Tired of walking to your car, getting it out of the NYC garage or parking spot on the street, having to find parking when you arrive at your destination, and probably overpaying? A new app, Valet Anywhere, promises to save you all the NYC parking hassles for $249 to $325 a month.
How it Works
- Sign up and pay your monthly fee
- Use the app to have your car delivered
- Use the app to have your car picked up and parked safely
- $6/hr for a one-off pick up and return. Maximum day rate is $42.
- $249 for low-frequency drivers, ie. 1 – 2 times a month
- $325 for higher-frequency drivers, ie. maximum of 10 uses
- $229 for 10 drop-offs in downtown Brooklyn, Park Slope, Williamsburg
The Ins & Outs Read more…
December 16, 2013
The NY City Council recently reviewed (on 12/11/13) a proposal requiring all new NYC parking garages and NYC parking lots to be capable of installing electric vehicle charging stations.
The proposal calls for all newly built NYC parking garages to have a conduit that will provide 20% of the parking spaces with at least 3.1 KW of electric power to charge electric vehicles. Building owners don’t have to provide the actual electric vehicle charging stations yet; they’ll just need to have the capability for the future.
As we reported in April 2013, New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s legacy included adding 10,000 public parking spots for electric vehicles (EVs) over the next seven years, with 2,000 of these NYC parking spaces having electric vehicle charging stations.
May 25, 2012
Yes, it’s true. The value of having your very own private NYC parking space in your own home has just been set at $1 million. According to The New York Post, ‘the private garage at 66 E. 11th St. costs six times more than the national-average price of a single-family home’ and ‘buying it would be the same as paying a $115 ticket for illegal parking every day — for 24 years’.
The average monthly NYC parking garage rate in Manhattan right now is about$450 (including tax), and that comes with a valet to take your car and bring it back to you. The advantage of parking right in your house, as most suburbanites know, is that it’s easy to carry packages right into the house. But if someone is paying $1 million just for a parking space, do we really think he is she is actually Read more…
March 14, 2012
We knew it was true, but hoped it wasn’t so.
NYC has the most expensive monthly parking rates* in the U.S.
Here are the top rankings (these are median rates):
- New York City: $533 (Downtown) – $541 (Midtown). Ranges from $800 – $300.
- Boston: $438. Ranges from $520 – $320.
- San Francisco: $375. Ranges from $550 – $200.
- Philadelphia: $304. Ranges from $464 – $175. Read more…
December 13, 2011
Your Garage Holiday Tipping. It’s all part of the NYC parking garage experience.
$25? $100? How much is right? Your car is probably your second most valuable asset after your house, so under-tipping could be a bad choice. To find out the trends for monthly parkers, we surveyed one dozen NYC garages on December 9, 2011 and asked our fellow parkers how they approach holiday topping for parking garages.
Turns out that garages anticipate you will tip based on where the garage is located and how you use your car.
SOME ADVICE FOR 2011
- Midtown East, Upper West Side, & Upper East Side: $25 – $100 per employee, with Managers getting the higher end of the range. In the more affluent areas like E80s near 5th Ave and Park Aves, $100 per employee is considered ‘average’.
- Busy Midtown Garage: $30 – $40 per employee is the average
As of December 9th, the NYC garages were just starting to receive tips so they couldn’t say if people were tipping more or less.
OTHER THINGS TO CONSIDER Read more…