Just how many NYC parking violations are issued each year? In 2010, there were 10,709,000 NYC parking tickets issued.
The figure for 2009 was 10,662,000 tickets given out by 2,656 traffic agents, which generated just under $600 million.
In 2008, there were 9,951,219 NYC parking tickets issued by 2,527 traffic agents, generating $624 million in revenue for New York City.
From 2008 to 2009, that’s a 4.5% drop in revenue and less than a 1% decrease in number of NYC parking tickets (13,000 fewer tickets) despite a 5% increase in the number of traffic agents.
SIGN UP FOR OUR FREE NEWSLETTER (in the box to the right) FOR TIPS ON FIGHTING PARKING TICKETS!
Some sources say that the revenue is down because people just don’t have the money to pay for the NYC parking violations. But Mayoral spokesman Stu Loeser says the city has made it easier for motorists to challenge their tickets online, and contested summonses generally garner reduced fines.
NYC PARKING TICKET STATISTICS FOR 2008
- The most ticketed block in NYC was 14th Street between 7th & 8th Avenues
- The day after Thanksgiving was the most ticketed day of the fiscal year
- The number of parking tickets issued had surged 42% since Mayor Bloomberg took office
The New York Times published a fantastic map with the total number of NYC parking tickets issued — block-by-block! The most ticketed areas from June 2007 to June 2008 were:
- Manhattan: Chelsea/West Village, Madison Square Park, and the Empire State Buidling
- Brooklyn: Brooklyn Heights, Downtown Brooklyn, East Flatbush
- Bronx: E. 149th St, E. Fordham Road
- Queens: Astoria/Steinway St, Flusing/Main St, Forest Hills/Austin St
- Staten Island: Staten Island University Hospital
MOST COMMON NYC PARKING VIOLATIONS
According to the NYC Department of Transportation (DOT), in 2005 the three most common NYC parking tickets were for:
- Overtime Meter Ticket at a parking meter or Muni Meter — 2,149,666 violations
- No Standing– 1,746,686 violations
- Street Cleaning Regulation, Alternate Side Parking regulation — 1,405,129 violations
HOW TO FIGHT A NYC PARKING TICKET
If you’re thinking about fighting a NYC parking ticket, be warned that it’s getting tougher. In 2005, 36% of challenged parking tickets were dismissed. But in 2008, only 16% of the challenged NYC parking tickets were successful. We’ve consulted the experts and they have given us their insider information on how to fight a parking ticket.
Want help fighting a NYC Parking Ticket? Contact our friends at New York Parking Ticket and let them know we sent you. They’ll review your ticket and tell you your chances of getting it dismissed. If you don’t want to fight the ticket yourself, contact New York Parking Ticket and they’ll do it for you.