PARKING RULE & REGULATION: Code 20 says that you cannot park where parking is not allowed by sign, street marking or traffic control device.But what does that really mean?
No Parking means you can stop your vehicle temporarily to pick up or drop off people or personal property, and temporarily is considered 2 minutes or less. An easy way to to remember ‘No Parking’ is think of the ‘P’, which allows for People and Personal Property.
Remember, only one sign is needed to cover an entire block, even if it is posted far away from the parked vehicle. A parking zone begins at the posted sign and continues on in the direction of the arrow until the next posted sign or the corner of the block. To avoid an NYC No Parking ticket, steer clear of the No Parking signs.
Think you know the difference between No Parking, No Standing, and No Stopping? We’ve all seen the signs and for many of us, they still don’t make sense. So we went to our NYC experts and found some great, and simple, explanations of what these signs and rules mean.
No Parking is the least restrictive. It means you can stop your vehicle temporarily to pick up or drop off people or personal property. Temporarily is considered 2 minutes or less. An easy way to to remember ‘No Parking’ is think of the ‘P’, which allows for People and Personal Property.
No Standing means you can stop your vehicle temporarily to pick up or drop off people, but that’s it. Just think of people standing at the curb for this one.
No Stopping is the most restrictive. You can’t stop at the curb for any reason you can think of. This one is pretty much ‘don’t even stop and think about it‘.
HOW TO UNDERSTAND NO PARKING, NO STANDING, NO STOPPING RULES
DEFENDING A NYC NO PARKING TICKET
When defending a ticket for No Parking in NYC, keep the following in mind; In the event that the sign is missing, incorrectly stated, or conflicts with neighboring signs, you may submit overlapping photographs that show:
• The entire block, corner to corner, including the address where the vehicle was parked,and
• All signs front and back,and
• The signs indicating the street name.
Where the permit holder has the correct authorization (permit or plates for the zone), you may submit copies of your permit or registration.
HOW TO HANDLE A NYC PARKING TICKET
NYC parking tickets are handled through the NYC Traffic Violations Bureau.
The New York City Department of Finance has instituted a Reduced Fine Program offering you a reduced fine for certain parking violations, in exchange for pleading guilty to the parking crime. This means you are waiving your right to a hearing and appeal. You may wish to follow these 3 simple suggestions:
- Reply No Later than 99 days from the date your parking ticket was issued because on the 100th day, bad things happen when your parking ticket lapses into judgment. For example, you are no longer eligible for the fine reduction program, interest is added to your base fine and penalties, and you risk having your vehicle towed when you are issued a parking ticket; and you have more than $100 in judgment.
- Plead Not Guilty by mail — If you plead not guilty by mail, and your parking crime qualifies for the fine reduction program, you’ll receive a letter in a few weeks offering you a reduced fine (i.e. a Settlement Offer) in exchange for your guilty plea. You can accept the offer and pay the reduced fine.
- Plead Not Guilty online — There is a page on the NYC DOF website where you can Plead NOT GUILTY and request a hearing. Scroll to the bottom of the page, and you’ll find, “Request hearing for” and a “GO” button. Click on the “GO” button. You’ll be taken to a page where you can plug in your violation number. Plug it in, and click on the “Search” Button. If your parking ticket qualifies for the fine reduction program, a new page will plop down offering you a reduced fine. Follow the simple instructions to accept the offer and pay your reduced fine by credit card.
If your parking ticket is not eligible for the fine reduction program, cancel the action. NEVER, EVER FIGHT YOUR PARKING TICKET ONLINE. Remember you are clicking through this process to plead guilty to a reduced fine, not to fight your parking ticket online.
Want help fighting a NYC Parking Ticket? Contact the experts at New York Parking Ticket.
Want to Find the NYC Parking Signs on a Street? Just enter the borough, NYC street and cross streets. You’ll get a list of every sign on the block and how far each sign is from the corner. It might just save you a NYC parking ticket!