Congestion Pricing for anyone driving in NYC is back on the table. With the removal of Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver and the MTA’s $15 billion capital-plan deficit, Sam Schwartz’s Move NY plan could fix both congestion and the deficit.
Move NY Plan’s premise is to increase costs of driving into Manhattan where there are good public transport options, and reduce the costs where there are limited public transportation options. As a result, the flow of traffic gets spread around the various NYC bridge and tunnel crossings.
HIGHLIGHTS OF MOVE NY PLAN
- East River bridges — implement tolls of $5.54 for E-ZPass users, $8 for others on the Queensborough/Koch Bridge, Manhattan Bridge, Brooklyn Bridge, Williamsburg Bridge.
- Crossing below 60th Street in Manhattan — implement toll of $5.54 for E-ZPass users, $8 for others.
- Outer Borough Bridges — reduce tolls from $5 to $2.50
- Off Peak Hours — lower toll rates
- NYC Taxis and app-based services — implement a surcharge based on a distance entered below 96th St in Manhattan.
BENEFITS OF MOVE NY PLAN Read more…