» Residential Parking Permit

November 22, 2013

In most of NYC’s residential areas, you can park on the street for free. In exchange for that free NYC street parking, you’ll also put up with moving your car twice a week for NYC’s Alternate Side Parking Regulations for street cleaning and circling the blocks to actually find a space.

A NYC parking garage, on the other hand, can cost you $300 – $600 per month depending on your neighborhood. For this price, your car is safe, is warm in the winter and doesn’t get damaged by chemicals to melt the snow, and is ready when you need it.

But how much would New Yorkers pay for a Residential Street Parking Permit that let them park in their neighborhood? Theoretically, the benefit would be more available NYC street parking, but no guarantees of getting a spot. Vehicles would still be subject to nature (rain, snow, wind, dirt) and human nature (damage, theft).  Transport researchers Zhan Guo of New York University and Simon McDonnell of the City University of New York surveyed a small group of New Yorkers and report that roughly 53 percent of New Yorkers are willing to pay something for residential street spaces — and this something averaged about $400 a year.

But the research is a bit flawed. Read more…

‧•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••‧
November 6, 2011

Permit Parking SignWouldn’t it be cool if you pretty much knew that you could find a spot to park your car on the street in your own neighborhood? Well, NYC street parking permits may be happening.

Called a NYC Residential Parking Permit, it would allow residents in specific neighborhoods to buy a permit allowing them to park in 80% of the street parking spots in the neighborhood. The other 20% would be available for visitors on non-permit holders.

According the New York Post, these NYC street parking permits would be most valuable and needed in Brooklyn Heights, Downtown Brooklyn, Harlem, Read more…

‧•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••‧